The Royal Archaeological Institute has research funds available each year as follows:
- Royal Archaeological Institute Research Fund. Awards up to £5,000 are available each year.
- Tony Clark Memorial Fund. Up to £500 is available each year for scientific elements of archaeological projects.
- Bunnell Lewis Research Fund. Up to £750 is available each year for projects which preferably involve the excavation and exploration of Roman sites.
See our Grant funding awards page for details of recent and past grant awards.
Applications will be considered for:
- archaeological fieldwork
- aspects of excavation and post-excavation research
- architectural recording and analysis
- artefact and art-historical research
Documentary research per se will NOT be eligible, but it can be considered as an element of the categories above. Preference will be given to projects within the British Isles that have significant part-time/amateur involvement.
Grant Notes and Application
Our 2024 Research Grant Notes and Application Form document is available to download below. The application deadline is 11 December 2023.
One of the conditions of grant awards is that the recipient must produce a report of the work undertaken. A shortened version of the report is published in the Institute's Newsletter.
Watch a short documentary created by one of the Institute's 2015 grant recipients: